View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Blondie's Retro Rush Story at Southern Private University

I was recently prompted by Benzgirl to post a retro-recruitment thread, and since this is the time of year where there is a bit of a lull on that front, I decided to oblige. I will post in real time... that is, party details each evening, and learning of my invitations the following morning. Rush at my school was 4 consecutive days, with Bid Day on the 5th. Here we go....

So… I went to a smallish southern school with a competitive rush... and since it was the early 90s it was known as “rush” and I was known as a “rushee.” I didn’t find the term offensive in the least, and I will use them both here. Recs were a must, which I dutifully obtained.

Bids were handed out once a year at our school, right after Fall Formal Recruitment, which occurred the week before classes started. Because of some extenuating circumstances, I was not able to be on campus in time for Rush my freshman year. While slightly disappointed about that, I thought that it could give me a year to get settled, meet some people, and go through my sophomore year. Yeah… somehow I missed that part about it being harder to get a bid as a sophomore!!

I knew several other sophomores who were going through Rush, including my roommate Melissa and her friend Amy. There was also “Courtney,” who had gone through as a freshman with her mind set to one specific chapter. When that chapter cut her early on, she dropped out. Now she was going back through, again with the intention of joining that one specific chapter.

Our campus had 10 sororities, and we would be attending parties of 10, then 6, then 4 with a Pref Night of 3.

Everyone says not to go in with pre-conceived notions… that was kind of hard at our school where close to 50% of the women were Greek, and you felt the presence everywhere. Would my early opinions hold true? Time would tell…

Here are the chapters on our campus, in no particular order, named for some of my favorite TV characters of the 80s.
Laverne DeFazio
Daisy Duke
Mallory Keaton
Vanessa Huxtable
Carol Seaver
Tootie Ramsey
Florence Jean Castleberry (“Flo”)
Louise ("Weezy") Jefferson
Chrissy Snow
Winnie Cooper

And the chapters in alphabetical order:
Alpha Chi Omega