Thread: A few questions
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleiciousDBG View Post
Hello, I am a member of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority, Inc. As you may know, our sign is the number 7 in ASL. I was just wondering what your reasons are for using the same sign. Also, what is your call. I've seen two different ones...its that the case? I dont like to be make assumptions because Im confused. Can anyone help me out here?
Gamma Sigma Sigma does not have an "official" call or hand sign, although I know that quite a number of individual chapters use them. Many of those chapters are at HBCU and/or in the south. I'm ancient, though, so I can only go from what I see in photos appearing in our publication and on individual chapter websites.

I know nothing about where "Wee-oop" came from. Perhaps someone from a chapter that uses a call sign can help there.

As for the hand sign that chapters use being the "same" as used in Sigma Gamma Rho, I'm guessing because it's supposed to represent a Sigma, versus the number seven in sign language. But I don't know that for a fact because A. my chapter didn't use hand signs and B. I don't pretend to know anything about Sigma Gamma Rho.