View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlily View Post
**mods, if you feel this is in the wrong place, please repost it**

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here...just a question for you all:
I am starting a new organization on my campus for a small demographic of women who are non-trads and specifically who are married/mothers. We all would have loved to join a sorority, but we go to a very small school and there are only a couple of sororities - and they are very party-oriented (which, for obvious reasons, we cannot be - even though we are in the same age group, etc). We would like the sisterhood aspect and the networking side, but our college is not open to new national sorority chapters, etc, so they have asked us to form our own group and have given us permission to use Greek letters. Our problem is that all the ones we have chosen are taken (or scrambled and taken). Would it be offensive for us to use an anagram of a major group's letters? For example, if we wanted to call our group "Sigma Kappa Gamma" (just an example), and it was already taken, would it be a problem to mix it up and use "Gamma Sigma Kappa" or similar? We're so frustrated because it seems all the names we would like have been chosen already. Any creative suggestions? We wanted to include the Greek initials for the beginning sounds of "Compassion, Dedication and Friendship."
I appreciate all your help - it means so much.
- Lily
You could go as Nu Tau Omega (Non Traditional Women) and have Compassion, Dedication, and Friendship as your motto.