View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Sure it does. There were all-male and all-female final clubs and Greek orgs too. There's no difference at all.
Sports teams are not social organizations, and it would be silly of us to think that the same kinds of membership requirements apply to both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
The members who remain of the single-gender finals clubs will be sanctioned the same way the members of single-gender sororities and fraternities would have been or will be: lack of recommendations for scholarships or ability to hold leadership positions. Harvard could expel students who join these groups if they wanted to, but they chose not to, as this article details. My guess is they thought expulsion would alienate too many alumni from donating.

I also wonder how they'll know who are members of finals clubs or other single-gender orgs. It's not like they're getting rosters, and finals clubs don't come with stitched letters. Are they stalking social media for references?
Thank you, I don’t know why everyone keeps acting like the fraternities and clubs that stayed all male are getting off scot free. If they don’t care about losing out on scholarships and campus leadership positions, that’s their choice. This has all been by choice. I doubt that any of the sorority HQs would have shuttered a chapter here for low membership, given the circumstances.

Don’t some of the Greek chapters in Canada operate independently of their schools? The sororities at Harvard could have done that, but they would have still been subject to the sanctions.