View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 12:31 AM

My husband and I unpacked our wine this afternoon. Much of the wine was from my late parents' collection - Dad was a wine snob, and we found bottles with vintage years before I was born. (They are probably vinegar.)

As we unpacked the wine, we built an inventory spreadsheet. (We're engineers. We're nerds.)

So my dear husband decided to label our wine racks after the letters of the Greek alphabet. We have five wine racks and two wine/beer fridges. He labeled the wine racks Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon. And he decided to name the fridges with the two Greek letters that - according to him - come after Epsilon: Phi and - "um, honey, what comes after Phi?"

He never joined a GLO, so he never had to memorize the Greek alphabet as I did. I suspect he guessed (incorrectly) that, because I'm a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi, Phi *must* be the next letter in the Greek alphabet after Epsilon. (Good job he didn't forget about Beta, Gamma, and Delta. LOL)

So I had to tell him that (a) Phi isn't anywhere near Epsilon in the Greek alphabet, (b) Chi is the next letter after Phi, (c) no, Chi is not pronounced "Chai" as in the Hebrew word for life, and (d) maybe we should just go with the NATO phonetic alphabet instead. (Which is what we went with. We both know this, as it's very useful for specifying hex numbers like MAC addresses and for spelling out our last name.)

Who wants to share the bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz at Charlie 17/1 with me? LOL