View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

He's a toxic person. He doesn't understand how relationships work. The red flags I'm seeing here are the description of his ex--this is a manipulation ploy. And even if she went Greek and was just as sexually active as she wanted to be, what's the issue with that?

Quote:
He believes that sororities bring out the worst in girls. He thinks it’s fake, for girls who want attention, and for basically girls who want to sleep with a bunch of dudes. He had a perfect relationship before me and broke up with the girl just because she joined a sorority too. She ended up becoming a groupie and has been passed around by a bunch of dudes.
This is manipulation on is part. His opinion on what sororities are is wrong, and has nothing to do with what he actually thinks--it's all about what he wants you to think. He doesn't want you to join because if you are part of a strong sisterhood, it becomes much more difficult for him to exert power and control over you. He may not be thinking of this exactly in those terms, it's more about him feeling entitled to you--and completely on his own terms. Outside influences interfere with that.

Quote:
He found out when he saw my location on pref night at the house I was in love with all week. He was mad, I tried to hold back tears waiting outside of the house I really wanted and I was nervous that my mind would be distracted when speaking to the girls. Luckily, I ran home to them and had such an amazing experience and the only person I wanted to tell about it was my boyfriend. He’s the person I wanted to support me, be there for me and be proud that I went through hell weak and made it out on top. He didn’t care. He was angry. He pushed me out. I cried for days trying to get him to talk to me again. He wouldn’t. I finally left him alone, and tried to be at peace with his decision. He came back to me and said he rather be with me than lose me to something so dumb.
The first red flag I see here is that he's using your GPS locator as a weapon against you. My wife and I share our location, but it's not about checking up on one another or any kind of jealousy. It's more like a "It's 6PM and you're still at the office, should dinner go in the fridge?" sort of thing. If he's insecure and has trust issues, that's on him. If after two years, this is still a thing, 1) it won't get better, and 2) it's on him.

The next red flag I see here is the emotional manipulation. You want to share something great in your life, but because this interferes with having you the way he wants you and his jealousy/lack of trust, he made a power play to emotionally guilt you into quitting. When that didn't work, he came back.. oh well.. no matter that he put you through the emotional ringer, making you question your own actions and values. He's not over it, he's just moved on to Plan B.

Quote:
he’s tolerant of me being a sorority but never wants me to talk about it. He shuts me out the second I mention any of my new friends or talk about my day. He’s not interested at all. I understand that he is at home, bored out of his mind, it it most likely makes him feel sad, so I try not to rub it in his face. He’s now at the point where if I bring up any socials or events, he’s instantly fighting me. It’s driving me insane.
This is called gaslighting. This is his Plan B. Again, this isn't something he's really planning, this is just a natural pattern of behavior, which is surprisingly common. Look--he even has you now saying that talking about your experiences in Greek Life is rubbing something in his face. You're not rubbing it in his face, you are sharing a part of your life and he's getting you to question your own sanity.

Quote:
He lacks trust in me as a girlfriend, he’s scared I’ll hurt him.
I know you provided some context here, but I want to break this down. When you were questioning the relationship early on, compare and contrast the tactics you used to prove the relationship was viable. Now compare what he is doing to you. See the difference? What he's doing is abusive. It may not be physical. It may never be physical. These things do have a pattern of increasing in intensity.

Quote:
I wish I could prove to him that he’s seeing the stereotype of Greek life and not what it really means to me. It’s amazing.
It's not about Greek Life for him. It's about power and control over you. So long as you're involved in things outside of the relationship, that's a threat to him.

Want a second opinion? If your school offers access to counselors, go book a session and discuss this with them. Watch them instantly pick up on the same things I am.

I predict that ending this relationship will be a nightmare. These guys don't typically go peacefully. The physical distance between you can be a blessing. You probably can't be friends. He will likely start blowing up your phone with text messages and calls. Be prepared to block him. If he continues to stalk, intimidate, or harass you, there are resources like the YWCA or women's shelters which can point you in the direction you need to go in order to get a restraining order. A lot of victims of abuse find it easier to go back to their abuser than to separate. I would advise you to do this now. Once you're living together and he has power and control over your finances, living space, children, it becomes much more difficult.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma