View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
This.

Of course every chapter has it's history, and being a local would be something that historically, a chapter would basically have to recognize. I've seen chapters that started as locals keep in their house some items (banners, badges, composites, paddles) from the local to remind them where they started. However, the new members are only going to know the potential NPC, and the potential NPC would be under no obligations to follow any traditions created by your sorority. And this is especially true when it comes to pledging/the new member process. In an attempt to eliminate hazing, the NPCs have structured programs that they have chapters follow and try to oversee as much as possible, which would be especially true for a colony/new chapter.
^^Yes^^. I do not pretend to know all 26 NPC sororities policies, but I would imagine that each NPC would feel it is most important for new members to know the NPC sorority's history. Granted, my chapter was not a local, but I only learned what number my chapter was in the list of chapters, and when the chapter was founded. All other history that I learned was ZTA national history.

Many sororities will offer membership to alumnae of the locals they absorb. I don't know that they would welcome a list of demands from alumnae of the local nor do I imagine that local alumnae would have any influence on membership selection.The alumnae of the local should also realize that there may be alumnae of the NPC sorority in the city and surrounding area that could also serve as advisors. Is the membership of the local sure that they would prefer to be absorbed by a national sorority rather than reestablish their own sorority and work for it to flourish and be a competitive alternative to the national sororities on campus?

Last edited by FSUZeta; 10-06-2013 at 04:21 PM.