View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
From the Ole Miss web site:

"What are the costs of joining a fraternity or sorority?

The Registration fee for Formal Recruitment is $100. It is due when you submit your application form online. The costs associated with the individual chapter dues are fairly subjective. We highly encourage potential new members to ask about the financial costs of each chapter during the first round of Recruitment. It is a very common topic of conversation, and should not be an awkward question. Typically, most chapters will address this issue up front. The average dues are about $350 per month, which includes membership fees, meal plan, social parties, t-shirts, and other items. For some groups, some of these costs are separate from the main dues. But please note, each house is different, this is simply an average estimate. It is also noteworthy that after the first year, dues are somewhat less because of the costs associated with initiation." Link
http://dos.orgsync.com/greek_parents

I think this is insufficient. And suggesting that a PNM ask the Chapter during recruitment is malpractice per se and unrealistic. That being said wonderful changes have been happening at the Greek Life level at Ole Miss, I just hope they know that there is more ground they need to cover before they slow down on the improvements.
Here's a random question, which I'm sure has been asked on Greekchat before, but I just missed it...

How is the recruitment registration fee spent? Is this money distributed to the chapters? ..Is it used by Panhellenic for the bid day hoopla? ..Something else? I imagine it could vary by school - and I don't want to completely derail this thread - so if someone could just throw out there a few possible ways it could be spent, that'd be great.

Just curious...

@~/~~~~