View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Invitational Day

The next morning our Rho Chi's came to give us the list of parties we had been invited back to for Invitational round. My sheet of paper showed the following:

Orange
Banana
Peach

I won't lie. I was disappointed, but felt that I would probably be cut from Kiwi -- so I wasn't that surprised. I was a little surprised at being cut by Apple, but I quickly realized that this house has so many legacies (now that I am an alumna and write recs, I have seen many PNMs that are legacies because both sister and mother, or mother and grandmother are UA Apples), that even a good rec to this house may not have let me shine during selection sessions. I asked my Rho Chi what I should do to help my chances with Banana, since that was the only house at the time that I could see myself joining. She said to just be honest with them and let them know my feelings. I nodded and thought that I would do just that.

So, I put on my happy face, took my list from my Rho Chi and rested before getting ready for 4 party day. Roommate got invitations back to Apple, Orange, Grapes, Banana, Kiwi, and Peach. I believe she declined with regret to Orange and Peach on this night.

First up was Orange. Now, I still could not tell you any names of Oranges that rushed me, but something finally clicked for me at this house. I think for me, those 1st 2 parties are hard on some of us who want to stop "chit-chatting" and get to the meat of sisterhood. This night, the sisters of Orange focused on their values and that really resonated with me. While I still believed that Banana was the place for me, I was starting to realize that all of the houses have something to offer (and not just the ones that I knew alumnae from). Overall Impression -- They had something to offer

Banana was up next, and I was excited and nervous about coming to 4 party at this house. We were only rushed by 2 people on this day, one I had seen earlier in the week and another who was the daughter of one of my beloved high school teachers, who I'll name CeCe. CeCe was a senior, and typically seniors do not rush (especially in some of the larger houses with lots of sophomores and juniors who return each year); but she was such a sweet girl. She told me how much her mom really enjoyed having me as a student, and how she had told her that I was a dedicated lady. She then went on to tell me why she chose Banana, and all the opportunities that it had to offer. Just as my Rho Chi suggested, I spoke about how at home I felt at Banana, and that this was the place that I wanted to be at the end of the week. Being a good rusher, she told me something along the lines of "I am so happy to hear that." I felt that the party went really well, and was looking forward to seeing Banana on my preference invite list. Overall Impression --Loved It and felt like I belonged.

My last party of the night was Peach. My impression of this house went down after this party. I believe that sense both Orange and Banana had serious conversations, I was looking forward to a more serious party at Peach. The mood was set, as they sang sweetly as we walked through the door, but the conversation stayed at that "Isn't college great" level. They did have a nice slide show that showed the sisters of Peach doing their community service, having fun together, and such -- but without that in depth conversation, I felt like I was watching another family talk about how great they were -- and not how I could fit in with the family.

Up next -- one of the top things I have regretted doing in my life and preference parties