View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Let's not confuse aggression with microaggression. I very much doubt the [former?] sorority member woke up that day with the intent of publishing something on her Instagram which would prompt an apology from her national office.

I do not understand this need to completely destroy a kid for making a dumb joke--even if the joke hurts some folks' feelings.

These kids are 18-19 years old. Their brains aren't fully developed yet. I would hope that the community practice would be to educate these kids rather than wishing death, pain, and misery upon them. In your lane, maybe you knew that joking about looking like Klansmen was not okay. You don't know where she comes from, and at that young an age, she's not fully responsible for what she thinks and says yet.

I'm not saying an 18/19 YO lacks agency, but I am saying they are very new to exercising it and we ought to give them a mulligan or two.
No, Kevin, aggression. You as a white male don't get to define the way the oppressed feel about an action. You have no idea what it's like to be on the receiving end of this kind of behavior.

It's up to us to provide organizations where our members feel safe, protected and respected. We don't exist to change the racist inclinations young adults bring with them to college. Those have been years in the making - and whether subtle or overt - there is no room for that behavior in our organizations.

Where do you draw the line? SAEs singing "there will never be a n* SAE"? Banana eating Snap Chats comparing races with monkeys? Hanging a noose around the neck of a statue of a notable African American? Drunken Finstas declaring how you don't care about the plights of certain groups of people? Naming your team a racial pejorative? They're all kids. Their brains aren't fully formed. Let's give them a pass while telling them how naughty they are. That will make the rest of our members feel safe.

But boys will be boys, right?