View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anongreek View Post
ugh. this bothers me!! I really wish greek life would truly become more inclusive and understanding -- especially when it comes to Aspergers and Autism. I know there are different "levels" of autism, but it seems like there has to be SOME way that greek HQ's could train their members how to interact and help these individuals thrive especially if the recruit was upfront about it during rush. I by no means think or feel that adults on the spectrum should be discouraged from joining Greek life, or purposely not given a bid due to being autistic (or having Aspergers either). Some of the frats I know of (not the one i mentioned earlier in a positive light) have really missed out on some great people that would have gone the extra mile for their org, just because they defined the person and their ability off of their "disability" if you will (even though I would not consider it a disability at all I am just struggling to find the right word. So, forgive me if that comes off as incorrect-- I hope my point still came across effectively).
A few comments.

There are members on this board that consider "frats" close to if not a trigger.

Remember that for these fraternities, the qualifier is "Social". And as such, ability to function in social situations can be a factor and *that* feeds into the advantages of being Neurotypical.