View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all be honest with yourself and ask yourself: do you want to be in a sorority or do you only want to be in a certain sorority? Your answer to this question will inform what you will do.

Personally, I would want to be in a sorority--any sorority. Because I know that the experience of being in a sorority (whether they have their own recruitment process or not) is pretty similar across the board.

The thing is, rushing as a junior will put you at a significant disadvantage due to your age and the number of years you will have left at your university. Realistically speaking, I don't think that you can afford that if you really want to be in a sorority. IMO it is highly likely that the chapters who would consider giving a Junior a bid during formal recruitment are the same ones who are holding informal recruitment in the Spring--so you are only hurting your chances and losing out on a semester of sisterhood bonding by waiting to go through in the Spring (both of these are pretty significant reasons to rush ASAP). In all honesty, if you really want to be in a sorority, you need to go through ASAP and be open to all of the sororities on your campus.

So with that being out of the way, I think that you should do informal recruitment in the Spring. Make sure to include DPhiE in the groups that you are attending. Most times sororities that have their own recruitment process are smaller, however this can have distinct advantages (being closer with your sisters, better chances at leadership opportunities, you have more of a say in things including the direction of the chapter). DPhiE is a NPC sorority and will give you all the benefits of being in a NPC sorority.

That's kind of it--I wish you good luck!

P.S. Oh I guess in terms of general recruitment tips, you should make sure you have everything together and work on conversation skills. Strike up small-talk conversations with people you don't know but run into over Thanksgiving, when you're back on campus, and over Winter Break. It'll help.

This link may help as well: https://www.totallytailgates.com/sor...ersation-tips/

Last edited by robinseggblue; 11-24-2019 at 07:30 AM.