View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Some of us were counting the minutes until an alum came on and spouted the party line. The older alums were not treated with respect. I saw several jeering, disrespectful posts aimed at them. Because of this, DG will certainly face more of a negative response than if these alums had truly received some respect. There was no kindness or gentleness.

Maybe you don't get it because you're young and not a mother. Why do you think the older women were upset? They have raised or are raising children who mean the world to them. DG meant the world to them too. But--these women will almost certainly dump DG if DG dumps their daughters. And then some self-righteous jerks will simply comment that DG must not have meant much to them.

Your 2 PNMs above? Of course, a chapter will chose PNM A, legacy or not. That has nothing to do with it. What moms were hoping for is for their daughters to be on the first bid list if they went to prefs. Women don't get many perks as alums but that was one that many alums counted on. This was done without a Convention or membership vote. Some small group decided to foist this on the membership and sneer at the members who didn't like it.

Maybe the next surprise from your HQ will go against what you think is right and let's see how you like that--
Why do you assume that I'm "spouting the party line" and not because I truly believe this is a step forward for an organization I've dedicated hours and hours of time and love to? That sort of condescension and disbelief that someone could truly agree with and appreciate the changes that have been made is not beneficial to any conversation whether on social media or on here. The fact that you were "counting the minutes" until someone came on here in support of the decision feels more like a lion waiting to pounce on someone rather than an honest wish to engage in measured discussion.

The fact is that DG's Executive Offices (EO*) has made plenty of decisions while I've been a member for almost 10 years that I do not agree with but what it hasn't done is change my feelings for the organization. Of course I understand that women are upset! It's a sudden and harsh change and I agree that the rollout of it in a public post rather than an email to all sisters before a social media announcement did little to help people feel that this decision was not made lightly. I agree that there were certainly some older alumnae who were not treated with respect and that is not in any way okay. Neither is their condescension to younger women as well. But a lot of responses have been engaging debates that may be heated but do not put down one another or throw the conversation off the rails.

I'm not discounting their feelings whatsoever and to do so is putting words in my mouth. Rather I am trying to respectfully share my opinion and why I am for the changes my organization is making. I've noted that I'm sure my feelings would be touched if I was a mother with a DG daughter and my acknowledgement of that seems to be missed. All I want to do is add the thoughts of someone who is actually a sister and actually relatively impressed by what the Fraternity is doing. Sorry if that's not what you're looking for here and only want an echo chamber for your own thoughts.