View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmorePNM View Post
Hm, I don't want to post my school publicly but it's not in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, or so cal. I mean that's a pretty big clue but I don't want to make it too easy. Thanks for the input, I know the schools vary I just feel like there's a really big difference between west coast and SEC schools. I'll check out some more threads, I haven't been able to find anything specific for my school yet but I'll keep my eyes open. It appears there's no easy answer..
It sounds like what you want isn't so much "more information about west coast recruitment", but more information about recruitment at your school in particular. I've seen recruitment at UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, SDSU and USD, and the main difference among those is the structure and details, like DubaiSis said. All the advice on conversation, recommendations, dress and preparation will stand for ALL of those campuses, and for many others I'm familiar with.

Some campuses will host recruitment parties in the chapter's house, some in a random room on campus, some will have on-campus suites dedicated to the chapter. Some schools will start recruitment before school starts, others will start a few weeks after school starts, or in the second semester. The rooms might be decorated minimally, or absolutely covered in balloons. Details will vary in regards to some of the rules of physical contact between PNMs and actives (some campuses won't allow shaking hands or hugs, some will), how much interaction can happen between PNMs and actives outside of recruitment, the door songs and rotation structures, and if the campus has an upperclassman quota (and it might work differently at different schools).

Bottom line: don't let the fact that you're attending a west coast school lull you into thinking that none of the information on GreekChat applies to your school or your situation. Don't take for granted that your recruitment experience is going to be much more relaxed than what you see here. If you want all the details and nitty-gritty of your campus, then find folks who know, or inquire about that school. Check the Panhellenic website. Talk to Greeks on your campus. Go to the pre-recruitment meetings. If there's no information on GreekChat about your campus, then it'd be lovely if you could recap your recruitment experience at your school. It would benefit future GreekChat readers like yourself!

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 02-13-2012 at 08:49 AM.