View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedzman View Post
You've lost all credibility. FSU Pikes is one of the highest-achieving fraternities in the nation. Check out this page for proof... http://www.fsupikes.com/chapterachievements.htm
They've won 6 consecutive Smyth awards from their National Fraternity and you say they are not "top-tier" at FSU? They've won the all sports trophy all but one year since their 2001 recolonization and you say they are not "top-tier". Are you nuts?

My chapter at Northern Illinois www.SigmaNuNIU.com is a top 5 out of 15 fraternities in just 4 semesters after our recolonization. Two of the last three student government presidents have been a Sigma Nu. We've been #1 or #2 in GPA each of the last 4 semesters. We are the 5th largest fraternity in just 4 semesters. To say that a colony "is going to suck for a pretty good period of time" is just silly to say. It's simply not true.

I'm going to chalk up your perceptions to the likelihood that you are young and have limited perspective and experience with Greek affairs. I've been Greek for over 20 years, worked for my national organization, traveled and been a chapter advisor for over a decade and was the primary alumnus spearheading our recolonization effort.

We've got new chapters all over the country that are reaching critical mass and becoming top chapters on their respective campuses.
Winning some national trophies is not indicative of top tier.

Generally it means you're somewhere up north, you cave to nationals, and you're probably upper-middle tier there.

The best chapters generally get no recognition from their nationals and wouldn't have it any other way.

The only excellent Sigma Nu chapter in the SEC/ACC is Ole Miss', that I can think of. The Arkansas one isn't terrible anymore.

edit: And I'm in over 91% agreement with CB/Phi Gam/etc.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 06-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.