View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
I think I need to clarify. I said that I think she might do a little research. I was in a hurry when I wrote this. I tend to be a planner- so I will make sure my dd knows what she needs to do to prepare. I think we will get a few recs and do some research... perhaps not as much as what some people here put into it. I just don't see us pursuing a rec for every Greek sorority on campus. While that would be very thorough, I don't see us going that route. Also of note is that meeting sorority members and establishing connections would be very difficult due to distance issues. Therefore, this is not something that I feel we should beat ourselves up about and we will not be brainstorming or researching for ways to meet current members at the schools she is interested in. Although I think preparation is good, I also believe that God has a path for each of us.

BTW- I shared some of the positive advice I received here and dd does seem interested in following through. It does involve some work and preparation and she basically said she is willing to do that. So, I am on board with that if that is what she wants to do. I would never in a million years be interested in joining a sorority for myself- but I will certainly support that path if that is what interests my daughter. My mother and grandmother were members of a sorority, so perhaps she can carry on their tradition.
The difference between these two paragraphs is amazing.

Keep in mind that your daughter will now be going off to college, and many things will no longer be "us" and "we". She needs to make her own decisions. Don't be surprised if she counts on you less, shares less with you, and doesn't talk to you as much as she used to once she leaves for school. I understand that you're trying to help, but you also need to let her branch out and succeed or fail on her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi95 View Post
In the end, if you daughter is truly interested, she will want to take an active part in researching, securing rec's, and be truly prepared for recruitment. If she isn't, her participation (or lack thereof) in the process will be evident come recruitment time when she is surrounded by other PNM's who are prepared.
This.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-27-2013 at 03:31 PM.