View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this:

1. I understand the need to level the playing field in higher education, the exclusive Greek system and society as a whole. We’ve all known unconnected PNM’s with stellar resumes & present well who have tough rushes and we’ve all known legacies who probably got a bid because of that. I would want my legacy to get a bid because she had found her home and they value and want her to be part of the chapter, not because of pushy alumnae or a legacy quota or whatever else has nothing to do with herself and her character.

2. I don’t like that they did away with 100% of special consideration for legacies. I would like to have seen DG still want a legacy introduction form and placement on the top bid list if carried to Pref. I would rather my legacy be cut after open house with no required ask back then to go all the way to Pref and not get a bid.

3. It’s confusing. Being a legacy IS a special connection. Having volunteered with your mom with the vision impaired or knowing your mom still vacations with her pledge sisters once a year or having visited your mom’s house on a college visit.....are legacies going to feel like they shouldn’t talk about that stuff and why it made them interested in DG? Will they feel like they aren’t even equal, but less desired than non-legacy pnms?

4. Without the entire NPC moving to this model, I fear it only hurts our legacies especially on competitive campuses. They are less important to DG but might still be released by other chapters who assume they want their legacy (ESPECIALLY with sitting sisters, or recently graduated sisters/cousins, or for chapter legacies).

I hope with the hope of expanding our sisterhood and leveling the playing field, we don’t shut a lot of legacies completely out of the Greek system.

TXDG-I especially agree with your second point regarding legacies who have been invited to preference and where they would be placed on the bid list.