View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

House Tour Day

In my time the invite list was given to you by your Rho Chi the night before / morning of the next days parties (as opposed to getting dressed up to go to parties, and then get your list). My Rho Chi was a "big sister" type person who was very sweet and helpful. My invite list looked like this:

Apple
Orange
Banana
Kiwi
Peach

While I was a little shocked not to get an invitation from all sororities (my 18 year old self who was a 1st chair band member through most of high school, cheerleader, ranked in the top 2% of my high school class of over 500, and who had very little rejection in her life up to this point was a little perplexed -- oh yes, I agree it was time!), I was relieved to not have to worry about offending my co-worker friend in Grapes and just said to myself "their loss" to Apricot. My Rho Chi asked if I was ok, and I said "I'm good" and I was.

I believe that my roommate received invitations back from all houses except Apricot, and so we were excited about the next day!

Now while I know that you can go to the UA Greek Life website (or even just search around Greek Chat) and find pictures of the houses, I think that justice is served best by seeing the beautiful sorority houses in person. I was thrilled to be able to visit 5 different chapters and see where they lived, laughed, cried, and shared a sisterhood.

Apple was up first. I was very excited to come back to Apple, and I believe I met 3 of the sisters at this party. I felt that the conversation went well, and that I was getting more of a sense in what Apple was all about. On house tour I was amazed at the size of the house, and all the neat features. Apple has a couple of large bedrooms (1 that sleeps 16 and the other that sleeps 8), and I could hardly imagine rooming with that many girls, but they assured me that there were other 2-4 person rooms as well. The skit at Apple that day was pretty cute, and I still to this day remember the main song in it. It was obviously catchy! Overall Impression -- I really enjoyed this day, and hoped that they saw something in me that would benefit Apple.

My next house was Orange. And again this day was not memorable either. I am sure that I met some really nice sisters, because I do remember feeling I could fit in with Orange, but nothing really stands out over 10 years later as I am trying to type this out. Overall Impression -- Thought I would probably release them if given the opportunity, but thought they were nice.

My love affair with Banana continued on this night as well I was picked up by one of my hometown friends that I had known for most of my life; and had a great conversation. I guess I should point out that while I knew most of these hometown girls, it was not like we were BFFs in high school or had a huge connection (like family type). I was then bumped by another hometown gal, and we talked about some of the stories from our past (we had gone to elementary school together). What I loved about these girls was how effortlessly they could take our old shared experience, and then showed how Banana had similar experiences and how Banana was just like another home away from home. Yep, I was smitten. Overall Impression -- Oh, I bet this could be my home.

This was a pretty rough party for me at Kiwi. If I remember correctly, I was picked up at the door by someone that I didn't know and was taken directly on house tour. Beautiful 3 story mansion with 2-5 girl bedrooms and all the pictures and fun of a college co-ed. Straight from house tour, we watched a skit -- where roommate's rush-crusher played the part of a bride (complete with Ballgown). After the skit, it was conversation time. Let's just say that I was picked up by someone that I completely DID NOT click with -- our conversation was just awkward, she was frowning the whole time, and on this day -- almost all of the people in Kiwi that I knew bumped over to say hello. So our conversation was always interrupted, and I was never able to really connect with her. Overall Impression -- Loved this house (maybe even more than Banana (because of their GPA, standing in my hometown, quality of girls, etc -- which I know is saying a lot since I have professed by love for Banana), but thought that the party went really bad for me

My final party of the day was Peach. There was nothing too memorable from this specific day, but I am sure that this was the day that I was rushed by either a recent alum or someone from another chapter. They were nice -- and gave a good impression, but weren't really knowledgeable about what was going on in this chapter of Peach. Overall Impression -- Liked them better than Orange, but still didn't think it was right for me.

Next Up, round 3