View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I think TCU is a typical tough Texas school to crack, and the chapter was barely off the ground when a second new group was brought on. ---> premature death
Yes, Phi Mu came on about 4-5 years after AOII, and I agree that can be rough on a new chapter.

Texas schools can be tough to crack without name recognition, however, 50% of TCU student are now from out of state with a large portion from California, the Midwest, and SEC country. I think this may be less a factor in the closing of AOII because Sigma Kappa, Gamma Phi Beta, and Phi Mu have all had successful new chapters in the last 20 years or so without a strong presence at the big Texas schools prior to their TCU colonization.

Honestly, I think AOII was doomed from the start because of campus culture *at the time* which corresponded with the rise of the online sorority ranking site. That site was flooded with posts- and people in real life- discussing tiers and that if you are new "you start at the bottom and work your way up." It was horrible to witness but this mindset was broadcast loud and often by a small but vocal enough group of undergraduates, which included both sorority women and the fraternities.

Before AOII could even recruit the potential founders were being told that they would have to start at the bottom in terms of tiers and social status. There was no campus support for them at all. Who would want to join that? Panhellenic and the Greek Life Office could have/should have been much more on top of this situation to ensure that unaffiliated women saw membership in a new sorority as a positive and not a social negative.

They were able to recruit a wonderful group of women, however chapter total at the time was in the high 100s, and they only pledged about 60-70. I was worried from day one and knew they would never be able to catch up.

Other than that vile ranking site that was new at the time (and maybe someone different in the GL office? Honestly not sure on that..) I don't know why their colonization was different than the other three that I mentioned. When those groups came to campus all the sorority members were on board, encouraging their unaffiliated friends to go for it. There was widespread excitement over campus about those groups, with members wearing buttons, etc promoting the new group. All three of those groups pledged close to campus total, and all have thrived since. Very different than AOII.

Starting with a smaller group and then to have to do recruitment the next fall.. well that's tough on a chapter. I am not sure they have ever made quota. It is unfortunate that Phi Mu had to come so quickly but the chapters were bursting at the seams. While it was refreshing to see the campus go all out in support for Phi Mu my heart broke for AOII.