View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Should I join this fraternity?

A little background: I'm a freshman at a large state university in Oregon hoping to join a fraternity this year and get more involved on campus. I've made tons of friends here, but I've been feeling isolated since I got here because I've had a hard time truly connecting with people, finding my niche, and feeling like I belong. I'm hoping joining a fraternity will solve (or at least help solve) this problem. I'm a social, outgoing, and laid back guy who likes to have fun but not go insane when I go out. I have yet to black out, hook up with a girl, or just party insanely hard in general and people tell me I'm not the stereotypical fraternity type. I still do enjoy parties. I'm hoping I can find a fraternity that allows me to meet new people and connect with like minded men. My options in terms of fraternities:

Fraternity 1: I visited at their house and it was very well kept and the brothers seemed nice and professional. They reached out to me later and asked me to rush, but I declined because I wanted to get a feel for college before rushing. They are not the biggest but not the smallest, have excellent core values and a mission statement with a killer website and a nice house, throw good parties (from the 1 I've been to), have a good reputation on campus, and are located very close to my dorm. I personally know none of the brothers.

Fraternity 2: Three of my very good friends and floor mates are brothers in fraternity 2. They invite me to their kickbacks and partys (even the more exclusive ones) and I know almost every brother who are really great guys. They want me to rush next quarter. Most are nice guys and fun to hang out with, however a lot of them seem socially awkward/misfits. Their house is not very nice and their fraternity is not very well known on campus. Overall they're a really great group of guys. Their frat just has a bit of a weird vibe to it sometimes.

Anyways, I ask because I believe fraternity 2 is rushing next quarter and fraternity 1 isn't rushing until spring quarter. I really want to rush next quarter, I'm just wondering if its worth waiting just so I can give fraternity 1 a shot or if I should just rush fraternity 2 because I already have friends there?

Last edited by fly right; 12-08-2011 at 07:36 PM.