View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't tell if this is real or not.

But anyway, a couple of points:

1) Someone mentioned that you may get out in the real world and find that you do share interests with gay people. Yeah, I suspect that is true. However, being gay is a pretty big deal in that it impacts how you live your life, and often your ideology. It is similar to heritage or religion or any other aspect of life that touches on a lot of things. So yeah, there is probably a dude out there somewhere almost exactly like me, but gay. However, most aren't, and they're the exception rather than the rule. My fraternity is mostly Christian southern guys. I don't hate gay people, but most people wouldn't condone that lifestyle either. So the better question is, why are you so concerned with getting involved in something where you'd obviously feel out of place?

2) A fraternity is not a "we accept everyone" organization. I could give a damn if my fraternity reflects the exact diversity of my campus or city or state or the US. I simply don't care. I didn't join it to be a part of a microcosm of society, I joined it to be around people who share common interests and values. I didn't join it to be exposed to a range of differing viewpoints, I joined it because I get along with the people and considering I spent a ton of time around them, it was a great thing that we agreed on a lot.