View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. to get the leadership, exposure and training for interactions I normally do not develop in my career. Such as, budgets, organizing a 501c3 non-profit, interacting with other non-profits in my local area, people connections. My career, is about exactness, as a scientist, I have precision, I only interact with co-workers who are introverted by nature and I read very complex articles that are sometimes boring.

I like just serving my Sorority because it gets me out of that shell of my work life. And I feel good by serving others. I am sure you can get that elsewhere, i.e. church, etc. But I like to keep my faith separated from my politics...

Of course, realistically, I know I cannot serve as a representative of my sorority in everything because there is too much. I can join other groups for that purpose. So, slowly, I am joining my college alumnae association that has different kinds of rules of interactions than my Sorority. I did join a church, but I found that they did not want to be an example of Christ by choosing which Sundays to serve communion... Or argue with various groups of people about their lifestyles rather than feeding the homeless. I felt became a waste of my time.

With Alpha Kappa Alpha, I know where I will always stand. Her perpetual body is unwavering. And through the years, we find that things are worthwhile to allow me to have truly lived my day...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 08-30-2007 at 03:36 PM.