View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I really felt I should respond because I was intiated at U of A, that is where I joined my sorority during spring rush. Now I left the university in 1998, but these are things I remember my then president telling our chapter and things I have heard via friends since then.

One thing, if this rule still applys, if a sorority doesn't have a house, you are not recognized on campus.

Okay next, this was when I was there, so rules might have changed, but sororities couldn't have parties in their house. I know we had a rule men were really only allowed downstairs. If we had a party (like a frat party so to speak) we could and would get in trouble not only by our advisors but by the school also.

After I left the school, U of A prohibited frat parties on campus. Unfortunately the biggest party house (when I was there) was Kappa Sigma and our house just happened to be right next door.

From what sisters told me the reason U of A prohibited this was because they had rules about advertising a frat party. The guys could do it as word of mouth, but they weren't supposed print flyers and hand them out. It was really suppposed to be almost like an exclusive get together because the frats usually invited the sorority girls. I guess Kagga Sigma (or one of the other frats) advertised, ergo, end parties on campus. Plus I guess the parties would last all hours into the night and break the noise code, cops would be called and that's just bad publicity to the campus in the first place.

The article was completely biased against the greek system. Now I don't know how many men go through rush, but I believe sorority rush is still pretty big. I don't know any actives at U of A anymore, but before 500-600 girls would usually go through rush, if not more.

Hope some of what I said helps

Brianna
Alpha Delta Pi