View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank goodness GC is back from its database error hiatus, because I went to a wedding this weekend. Popcorn needed to be served.

First of all, this was a family wedding with a very quick dating and engagement period. The groom is 19 and the bride just turned 20. Of course, we all wish them well and we will support them, but they are very young and everyone is concerned. My daughter was a bridesmaid and I jokingly asked her if the bachelorette party was going to be at Chuck E. Cheese's.

The couple wrote their own vows, but didn't memorize them. When it came time to recite them, the maid of honor handed the bride her vows. The groom turned to the minister and said he'd forgotten his vows paper, and needed to go get them. The look on the minister's face was priceless, and you can tell he's thinking 1) wing it, or 2) let's go with the standard vows. He was probably not thinking 3) RUN back down the aisle to get the vows, leaving the bride standing at the altar for several minutes while you try to find them. If you guessed option 3, you're right! So we all sat there nervously giggling, with the minister making a couple light-hearted jokes, until the groom RUNS back up the aisle with his vows. In the meantime, someone in the back yelled, "Don't worry, 'Susie,' he's coming back!"

Second, the ring was tied so tightly to the pillow, the groom couldn't get it loose. The master of ceremonies finally brought a KNIFE up the aisle so he could cut the cord.

For the kiss, the groom dipped the bride all the way sideways and bent down to kiss her (this brought back nightmares of partially dislocating my knee in college when some some idiot I was dancing with did this to me on New Year's Eve...resulting in a trip to the ER...but I digress).

At the end of the bridal dance, the groom left the bride standing on the dance floor and RAN out of the hall, into the bathroom. I heard someone in the hall say, "where are you going so fast? The bathroom, hahaha?" Yep. Seriously, if you don't know enough to "go" before something important, you're not old enough to get married.

Guests were asked to tell funny stories about the couple, instead of clinking glasses, if you wanted them to kiss. Imagine how judicious their 19/20-year-old-peers were in selectively choosing which stories to tell. The best (worst?) one was how the groom drank water out of a dog dish sitting on the sidewalk outside a dog-friendly boutique last year.

The food was good. It was a dry reception...thank goodness. And, the groom is a good sprinter.