View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
A-friggin-men. I feel the same way about getting rid of the word "suicide" and pretending that "recruitment" isn't really still "rush." And not to get on a tangent, but referring to your pledges as "baby [fill in the mascot]s" doesn't exactly convey to them that they are taking on a LIFETIME RESPONSIBILITY. If anything, it does the opposite - lets them know nothing is expected of them except to look adorable and move on when they outgrow it.
I agree. By trying to go PC and get rid of words that have bad connotations, it would appear that some of the ideas have been lost. Mainly I feel this with "pledge". I also feel like most of the PC terms are pointless. Oregon changed "Greek Life" to "Fraternity and Sorority Life" because first term had bad connotations with it. Does it really change anything? No. Does using the terms, rush, pledge, or suicide change the fact that some people will haze or have PNMs SIP? No. It will still happen. Does New Member really carry over the idea that a person is pledging an organization?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot