View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I am probably repeating stuff because I haven't read the whole thread.

I think that one of my girls who rushed this year (I didn't post her story because the end was sad) best explained the reason not to pledge a "low tier" group that was struggling with numbers: "I appreciate what they're trying to do; I just don't want to be a part of it."

A lot of PNMs don't want to be in the smallest/least popular group because they don't want to have to deal with all of the work that would go into making a chapter grow. It takes a special kind of girl to join a group that's not as popular when she KNOWS that the group isn't as popular, and an even more special kind of girl to join a group that is struggling with numbers on top of a "low tier" rep.

When I look back at my school and the way it was when I went through recruitment, I remember 3 groups that people referred to as "low tier." Of the three, one chapter has closed due to low numbers and the other two have gained in numbers and in reputation to the point where the difference in chapter size between them and others is negligible. However, even with those gains in reputation, those two chapters still have to deal with being called "low tier" every recruitment (despite members every bit as pretty, smart, involved, etc. as those in "higher tier" houses).

I saw at the top of the thread people mentioning whether PNMs would ever choose a "low tier" house over a higher house, but sometimes a PNM doesn't feel comfortable in that high tier house. Back in my thread (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=87526) I said this about a "popular" house: Their house is big and pretty, but the conversation was more and more awkward today. I just don't know that I am a fit here. The girls are nice and I could see myself being friends with a few of them, but I just don't feel like I fit in with the majority of the girls. I think I would have to change myself to be happy in this house and I don't think it is worth it just to be in a "popular" sorority. The girls on my hall and in my rho chi group insist that this is the "best" house I have left, but the more I see of it, the more I think it is just not for me.