View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I dunno.

At my SEC school, it's like the "tiers" are set in concrete reinforced by rebar and encased in steel. The top, middle, and lower tiers, with just a tiny bit of shifting within tiers, are the same now as they were in 1971.

It doesn't seem to matter what women do or achieve, they don't change.

And Panhellenic has traditionally been all about enforcing that. Informally, of course.

I do agree with this post from my experience at an SEC school. The tiers are set and there has been minimal movement for generations.

IMO, it feels like a carryover of high school - who is most beautiful, best figure, most popular, dresses best, what area they are from, and possibly what parents do for a living come into play. It doesn't matter what you do or achieve in many cases. The young girls that fit closely to the above filter into the top groups and then it falls from there.

What I have noticed over the years though is how nasty girls have gotten. Many young girls that are presently in a sorority will try by various means to start rumors and tear apart another group. The internet is a perfect place to do so. It may be a top tier trying to trash another top group or a mid tier trying to move up and attempt to knock another group down. I am shocked at what some of these girls will do with their time.

I met a wonderful woman who told me her best years with XYZ have been those out of her four years in college. She said it fulfilled her life like she can't explain. That really touched a spot in my heart. I understand why the tiers are there to a point (whether I agree or not), but it is sad and ridiculous. There is so much more to each of the organizations. You just can't always explain that to an 18-21 year old woman with her own mind.