View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valoliver View Post
Thanks Navane. Looked at the links you sent and din't find any correlation to the pin. Have been going through list on the Letzeiser ad & when I googled checkmate & Battle Axe a reference to a book came up where the author refers to these organizations. The book is entitled " The University of Oklahoma, Vol II by David W. Levy. I'm still looking through the book online. I'd imagine most of the non frat / sorority groups listed were in or close to Oklahoma as that is where Letzeiser did business. There is a U of O magazine called SOONER which is where the ad I posted is from. It's available online digitized and I am also searching there for info. Thanks for your input.

No worries. It was my best guess and I sometimes guess incorrectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'm Jewish.

The letters are Resh-He (Resh is the one on the right hand side the He is the one on the left"), Hebrew is read from right to left.

Definitely *not* Pe-et.

That's a VII, not an XII above it.

Ok, good to know. From what I was reading, the letter Resh is traditionally associated with the word or concept of "head", "first", or "top". The letter He appears to have been traditionally used as the word "the" or even "behold!" to emphasize the associated object. So, I would put those together to mean "the top". That would make sense for Pe-Et (whatever that stands for) since the members were supposedly at "the top" of their class. At least, that's where I was kinda going with it....

Any idea which organization it is from then?

Reference resh: https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/alpha...ters_resh.html

Reference he: https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/alpha...tters_hey.html

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 06-24-2019 at 01:50 AM.