View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't give any NPHC-specific advice, as I am not a member of an NPHC organization.

I know that there can be a lot of pressure to affiliate from parents who themselves are part of Greek Life. It makes sense--they had a great time as part of GLOs, so they want their kids to share in that too. However, it doesn't mean that Greek Life is or isn't for you.

I think that you're not going to get your questions about what any sorority is like answered until you actually get to know more women who are in it. Again, I don't know much about NPHC specifically, but generally (as an overall organization) sororities have many members, and not everyone is the same--there are extroverts and introverts and girly girls and sporty girls.

I know that a lot of moms who have daughters want them to join their organization, but most moms really just want the best for their kids. If you feel comfortable, I would encourage you to talk to her and see what she says about this. I'm sure she would have a valuable perspective.

But really, answering the question of what you should do is going to require introspection. If you decide that you don't want to pursue it at all, then don't. You can live a fulfilling life and have close friendships with other women without being in a sorority. But from reading your post, it seems like this is something that you could be open to, except you are afraid that you won't fit in. So keep an open mind, and get to know some sorority women socially when you get a chance. Don't put any pressure on yourself, just meet women and get to know them as you would anyone. See how they are living their lives and what values they seem to hold. I think that's the best way of figuring out what you think about these organizations and whether you might want to pursue joining one.

You might find out that you really want to be in your mom's sorority, you might decide to join a different organization, or you might decide that it isn't for you--these are all valid choices, but you won't know for certain unless you explore that possibility. Since your college doesn't have Greek Life, you have plenty of time to reflect on what is best for you and decide whether you want to get to know women in sororities and explore this possibility.