Thread: My AI adventure
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose26 View Post
I have been a lurker for a few years and I just wanted to say something. I'm an AI. While I do agree that it is not for everyone, I do not agree with how advice is given to people. No it isn't for people who never got the college experience and just want to relive college. No it isn't for people who just want letters. I also do not like people sorority shopping. However to say that it is a rare process and doesn't ever happen simply isn't true.

I am a legacy and my mother invited me to join as something special to share with her. Typically AI's do fit into five categories

1. Pledged but didn't initiate
2. Years of service to said GLO or philanthropy and AI is a gift for service
3. local sorority that was absorbed.
4. Legacy
5. Friend in XYZ invited you to join.

Ok so just because somebody doesn't fit into one of the above categories does not mean that AI is impossible and should not be pursued. Each AI story is different. People have different reasons for joining. Each case is not the same. You can't say that AI never happens and that only the GLO pursues it and not the PNAM. That simply isn't true. Each sorority has their own policy. Some AI pretty frequently. Some have certain rules for it. Some don't at all. If you look back at this forum there are tons of success stories. Each woman had a different reason and way she joined.

If somebody truly has something great to bring to a sorority then why not? Do I think sororities have the right to be selective? Absolutely. Just as they are in the college setting.

Give people a chance. There have been many great AI's serving each NPC. Don't beat it down.
So...you know that the OP doesn't fit into one of the AI categories, yet you are encouraging her to continue pursuing it? Please tell us what you suggest she do next.