Thread: Need answers...
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoGirl11 View Post
Hello,

I'm seriously considering rushing this upcoming Fall. I have always secretly wanted to be in a sorority, but never thought it was a real possibility for me. I am an older student, (25 this summer) and entering my Senior year this fall. I have 1-2 years left in school as a double-major at a school in Idaho. I've been thinking to myself that I've only got one chance to do this, and better late than never!

I deeply believe in the kind of sisterhood and community I have seen in the women I have known that have gone greek, and I am absolutely kicking myself for not just taking the plunge and rushing freshman year. I wish I could wind back the clock and do it right!

I am very petite, and have a young appearance and girlish nature (people always seem to think I’m 17) so I really think I’d be able to blend in and get along well with the other potential pledges.

My main questions are:

1- Do I even have a chance? Being 25 with Senior standing?

2- Providing I can successfully rush and get a pledge card, what would the requirements/costs look like for a new house member?

3- Would I be able to live in my current housing (apartment right by Greek row) and eat meals and study at the sorority house with the other girls? Or would I have to move in?

The housing question is mostly because my housing is very affordable, and if it were a possibility, it would be easier to pay dues and membership costs and meal plans and such if I could keep my cost of living around where it is already at.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you all!

We can't really say for sure what your chances are as every school's culture is kind of different with regard to older and nontraditional students, but what I CAN tell you:

1. Like I said before, we don't know what your chances are because we do not know how receptive sorority members at your school are to nontraditional students. Certain universities are transfer and nontraditional student friendly but the GREEK system at those schools can still very much be an 18-22 year old experience.

2. This VERY much depends on the school and chapter. If you are on a campus with housed chapters, costs are going to be higher than if the chapters are not.

3. I always tell PNMs to plan on living in. Most chapters do have some sort of expectation as far as living in and it's best to go in assuming that it is an expectation. Ex: My school's chapters generally did not exempt girls from living in unless they were abroad or lived with parents in the area.

Lakers Nation.