View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks again so much for the great info ladies. Especially concerning my engagement ring...interestingly enough ever since I've gotten it I have never had any occasion where I've absolutely had to take it off. For example when I was in my fraternity's annual play (we this for our philanthropy - we try to give them a large amount of donations, our philanthropy is for Broadway Cares - equity fighting AIDSl)...my costume mistress told me not to take it off (and in a play the chances of you actually wearing your own jewelry onstage are pretty slim). I'm glad that it won't be too taboo if I wear it around them or anything...

I have another question though. Recently (since our spring rush has been over for a long time - formal for us starts as soon as we get back to school in January) I've been talking to some of my friends in sororities about visiting the house, coming over for dinner, if they could let me know when they're having some events so I can come over and get to know more of the girls, etc. The problem is that even though I was only at recruitment for the first day - didn't even make it to philanthropy night - I really liked all the sororities on my campus. When I visited I met a few girls that I really connected with - and even after recruitment I started hanging out more with some of the girls who happened to be sigma rho chis during recruitment, etc. So when I've been asking if I can come over for an event or something I've been asking my friends in all four sororities about it. I was wondering is this really an okay/permissible thing to do?

I also wanted to ask you lovely ladies - exactly what is a tasteful way to tell people about the things that you do without sounding like you're bragging or anything like that? I didn't mention my fraternity while I was in the houses (first of all there is at least one girl in every sorority that is in my fraternity and the theatre department is really small, so when they find out that you're in the theatre department, they already know that you know everyone within it - and basically everyone in my fraternity is in the theatre department). I was unsure as to whether or not I should mention my fraternity because I didn't want to break any of the rules or make someone mad or something like that. I've also - and this is going to sound like bragging to excuse me - have owned and operated my own pie business for a long time (I'm on hiatus right now but as of May I will have had it running for 12 years)...and I didn't really want to tell them about it because I was scared that they might think that I'm really snooty. I did end up telling one girl in one of the sororities because we started talking about community service and a lot of my community service opportunities in high school came out of my pie business (I had well over a hundred hours of community service in high school - it's unfortunate that I can't really participate in it over here because I'm not from around here so I don't really know where to go for it...which is another reason why I'm interested in being in a sorority, I really like to give back to the community).

Anyway sorry for another long, drawn out post...thank you again for all of your help and sorry that I'm asking stupid questions...I'm just so nervous and all (it's mostly due to things that have happened in my past). Thanks!