View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

From the "Dad" perspective, I really appreciated the financial obligation form my daughter received before she joined her sorority. It gave a complete break-down of all the expenses and my daughter and I were able to have an adult conversation about the "investment" she was about to make and how much she was willing to contribute to her lifelong commitment. The university she attends provided a pretty broad range of what students and parents can expect. After she accepted her bid, she received the 8-page legal contract again outlining her financial obligation and level of commitment. I made her read it and ask questions before I signed it. So glad the chapter included the parents as part of the awareness.

This is a challenge for the fraternity I advise at a much smaller campus (annual dues less than $1,000 for active members, around $1,200 for pledge year), but guys still pay late or not at all before suspended or they flunk out. We ask the men to share the info with their parents, but many don't for fear of parents not letting them join....different conversation for a different day. This fall, the chapter finally instituted a contract to help with the collections problem.