Thread: I Don't Get AI
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
To the first point: is that intentionally, or do you think that other chapters (and organizations) are going the same route (meetings going from business to social)?

and to the second: if NPC alumnae chapters' focus is on reclamation/retention vs AI, i think thats a way better response to the "i don't get AI" argument. from what i gather, there is a hard transition from collegiate to alumnae (between both councils but especially) for NPC women, so if energy is spent on getting your members to go from PNM --> active collegiate --> active alumnae without missing a beat, then AI isn't as important.

i just wonder if that deters new alums - the day-and-night factor of how sorority business runs. going from weekly meetings and a packed calendar to meeting, potentially, a few times a year on business and hanging out every so often for social.

I think it would deter new alums more if we had huge business meetings at our alumnae meetings. We are finding it harder to attract younger sisters to join our alumnae groups to that traditional formula. Having fun sisterhood activities seems to draw a larger group of young sisters, but they also tend to join other committee groups like our alumnae advisory committee for our local collegiate chapter. Things aren't compressed into one body anymore. We have an alumnae chapter, an Alumnae Advisory Committee and a Collegiate Chapter Corporation Board that you can join to be involved as an alumna. The thing that has chased more new alumnae away from my alumnae chapter has been long business meetings.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!