View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
What group are you in? I was just wondering for the tally.
Alpha Delta Pi

Quote:
I just wanted to clarify that the my comment about "seeming well qualified" was intended to go with idea of giving some preference to legacies, rather than expecting phone calls that would explain why she wasn't.
Gotcha. I agree.

Quote:
I think most people who favor preferential treatment for legacies don't want to see them get in no matter what, but they want it to be the deciding factor when everything else is equal. So moms with PNM who are as well qualified as other PNMs hope that the policy just gives a little edge.
I absolutely agree. When everything else is absolutely equal, I think the legacy should get the advantage.

Quote:
If an organization is interested in legacies to build a multi-generation attachment to an organization, I think it's cool, but I think people who see it playing out for their kids are more interested in it than undergraduates who just want to pick based on "fit." Is it more superficial and selfish to want your kid to get a little special treatment or more superficial and selfish to pick a girl because she's just like you?
Mmmmm. I think it can go both ways. I do think it is superficial and selfish to demand that my kid get special treatment. Again - if she is not judged on her own merits, we are doing her a disservice and setting her up to always expect special treatment because of who her parents are. And as to the undergraduate's perspective - isn't recruitment about picking who will be an asset to your chapter? Sometimes that means picking girls who are just like you. We are often taught that in recruitment, you need to "replace yourself" and to replace the seniors who have graduated. I'm not advocating throwing diversity out the door - but even when searching for diverse new members, you want to make sure that she will be comfortable in the setting of the sorority and not be a complete outcast.

Quote:
(Again, I know my feelings on the matter don't count for much, but I can embrace not calling because it's not practical and it doesn't really work as far as offering respect to the alumna.
But I think your feelings DO count for much. I think we should consider all sides to the matter, and I love discussing them. I love hearing other opinions, and it has happened that my own feelings have changed as a result of hearing an argument that I hadn't before considered.

Quote:
I just can't make myself buy in that it's really a privacy issue for the PNM. If the mom or even just a rec writer called the chapter the day of parties to see if the PNM had been invited back, you really wouldn't tell her? Or is it that you feel the guest should know first?)
I feel that the guest should know first. And I guess that I just feel that a PNM's business is a PNM's business. If SHE wants to tell the whole world who she cut and who cut her - fine. But she may be embarrassed, or she may wish to spin it to her family member or rec writer that SHE was the one doing the cutting to save some face. It's not my place to embarrass her further by saying, "No, sorry. We don't want her."