View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
All great advice. THanks for starting this thread KSU.

One thing that I would add: do not feel/complain that the group that you did not receive a bid from was "fake," "led you on," "lied to you," etc. It is very, very likely that the women whom you met during recruitment *did* like you and *did* want you to be a part of their chapter. However, virtually all of the PNMs in a pref party have the same situation. Everyone attending the pref party likely has a group of members pulling for them.

Only a specified number can receive bids, but everyone at the pref party is somewhere on the bid list. You were genuinely liked by the group, as evidenced by receiving an invitation to the pref party.

It is also likely that the members that you met do not know where you fell on the list and may be thinking that you turned them down! Keep your head high, and run to the chapter that bid you with grace and dignity. Your new sisters will be so excited to see you!

This is a great point for new members who received bids to their 2nd (or 3rd) choice to remember. On Bid Day, our VP Membership would always meet with us before the new members got their bids to announce who we "got." After the list was read, we would always start thinking, "What happened to Susie Rushee? We didn't get her...she must have liked XYZ better. Bummer!" It didn't really occur to us that some of those girls must have been ranked low on our bid list. If a sorority invites you to a Pref party, the girls in that chapter would have been proud to have you as a sister. At my school, only the VP Membership and an advisor knew how everyone was ranked, and I never heard of an instance where that information was leaked.

When I went through recruitment, I just knew there was only one house that I would click with. I was fortunate and received a bid to that chapter, but as I look back on it now, I realize that I really could have been happy with any of the chapters on my campus. Almost any sorority is going to have a mix of interesting, great girls. Embrace this opportunity that you have been given and remember that YOU will soon be a full member of your sorority and have the chance to make it what you want it to be.