View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
Your assertion about the Phi Mu chapter at IU is not correct now or in 1993 (I was chapter development adviser when the house was built). There are not restrictions - ever - on the "status" of a potential member to be pledged. "Living In" is a consideration, but exceptions are always a possibility and taken case by case. As with other GLOs I am sure, the quality of the potential new member is the most important consideration.
I got that information out of the rush book I got when I signed up. (the book gave some info about the sororities, dues and room and board costs, minimum GPA for each house and if they would take sophomores, juniors or seniors.) It sounds like there was wrong information given in that book. I wish I knew what I did with it so I could know for sure which were the houses that didn't take upperclassmen. (I know there were four houses that said they didn't take anyone over freshmen and I know for sure Alpha Phi and Delta Gamma were two of them. Phi Mu sticks out in my mind because I remember I really liked them and thought it was a shame I had no chance to get to the second round since I was a sophomore!) For the record, the year in school issue was not brought up at any of the parties (I certainly wasn't going to say "I read you don't take sophomores. Is that true?" )and I was not treated differently at all at the houses that didn't take sophomores and above when they found out what year I was. Maybe none of it was as black and white as the book made it sound!

I would love to see a current IU recruitment book.

Last edited by Sister Havana; 06-02-2005 at 09:16 AM.