View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2: Ice Water Teas

I dragged myself out of bed and began to prepare for day 2 of sorority recruitment. I was exhausted emotionally, physically, and mentally, but I did my best to keep a positive attitude and make a good mark on each of the sororities today!

Arrested Development - I liked this house. I enjoyed talking to the girl who rushed me, and I was happy there were no bumps. However, I didn't LOVE the house yet.

Greek - This house was another really loud house. I couldn't hear anything the girl was saying. I wasn't a huge fan of their organizational structure where two actives talked to two PNMs. It was difficult because the other PNM came from a very interesting place, so I was kind of left out of the conversation.

The Walking Dead - Although I went into rush with an open mind, I wasn't oblivious to the rankings of most of the houses. This is considered a top house and is highly sought after. Unlike the other houses, we didn't stand or sit to talk. Instead, the girl who rushed me walked me through the house, while attempting to make conversation. It was difficult and often times awkward. (Note: There is a rumor that if you touch the railing while walking down the stairs at their house, then you will be cut.) As we reached the stairs the girl who was rushing me stopped and looked at me very seriously and said, "You can touch the railing if you want." I'm not sure if she was simply reassuring me or testing me, but I touched the railing because A.) if the rumor was true, I didn't want to be in a house that cut me for such a superficial reason and B.) I wasn't about to fall down the stairs. The girls were nice and the house was beautiful, but overall, this house made me feel uncomfortable.

Parks and Rec - This house was great! I loved the first girl I talked to. She was really intelligent and interesting. We were having a great in depth conversation until she bumped me to one of her sisters. At first I was nervous because the first thing the girl told me was that she wasn't "the smartest." However, as we continued talking, I realized how genuine and nice she was. She even asked me to tutor her haha. At the end of the party she made sure she remembered my name, which I interpreted as a good sign.

Modern Family - I really liked this house. I talked to three girls there, and they were all really nice!

Friends - This was another loud house. I couldn't hear what the girl rushing me was saying, so I ended up embarrassing myself by giving answers that had nothing to do with her questions! She laughed it off though, and I enjoyed the rest of our conversation. Multiple actives came up and introduced themselves as well. I loved this house overall!

Law and Order - This house was great. All of the girls seemed like a great balance between smart and fun! I still have their door song stuck in my head.

Mad Men - This house was great. I absolutely LOVED it! I talked to two girls at the same time here, and we actually talked about things other than the typical where are you from, what's your major, why did you come here... I knew what their philanthropy was and was very interested in it, so I asked a question about it. They told me they would tell me about it tomorrow. I took this as a sign that I might be getting invited back!!

Chelsea Lately - This house was just OK. I liked the girl I talked with, but I just felt there was no real connection.

Voting: At the end of today, our Rho Chis took us to rank the sororities. We were instructed to rank our top 12 in no particular order, and then rank our bottom four from 1-4 (1 being most want to return to and 4 being least want to return to). I had done a lot of thinking about how I wanted to rank the sororities. I wanted to pay attention to both how I felt about the sororities and their rankings/reputations on campus. I knew I was not an ideal candidate and did not have that great of a chance at top tier sororities that only took a few OOS students every year. It just so happened that most of the sororities I didn't feel a connection to were these "top" sororities. My ranking ended up looking like this.

1. Chelsea Lately
2. Greek
3. The Walking Dead
4. Twin Peaks

Next Up - Day 3: Philanthropy