View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

2nd Round Parties (6 Party Day)

Getting dressed for 2nd round party: I wore a floral skirt with a chambray top and again, brown shoes. We all wore brown shoes back then for some reason. There still was an abundance of wrap skirts among the rushees. Those girls were crazy.

Weather: Sunny and 100 degrees (okay. I admit. I don't remember the weather exactly, but considering where I went to school, let's just say that's a very safe bet!)

Winnie Cooper- I was glad that this was to be my first house of the day, since I had been such mush last night when it was the last house. Again, there was lots of spirit, singing and clapping. I did not know the girl who picked me up, but she (and those who bumped with her) were very friendly, and clearly loved Winnie very much. As I looked around the room, I noticed something different about this chapter. Whereas many houses had members who looked or dressed or acted similar, this group definitely had some diversity** and could not be stereotyped. I saw fashionistas, athletes, studious-types, gregarious types, etc. (**I wish that I could say that “diversity” referred more to ethnicity, but the NPC Greeks on my campus were probably 99% Caucasian.)

Daisy Duke- I was really excited to be going back here today. I had had so much fun with my friend Michelle yesterday. This time I was paired with a girl that I did not know. She was nice, but much quieter than Michelle and I had to steer the conversation. They did a cute skit and sang a cute little ditty that no matter how hard I tried I just couldn’t learn the words. Therefore, I had that tune stuck in my head all day, but just couldn’t pair any words to go with it! I still loved Daisy Duke very much and really hoped that I would be coming back tomorrow.

Chrissy Snow. Oh, Chrissy, Chrissy, Chrissy. I was dreading this one, and my fears played out. I can’t remember if the “faux” Chrissies were still there or not, as I do remember that I was paired with a “local” member of Chrissy. A local member who was very socially awkward and painful to attempt a conversation with. Sigh. The members made all of the rushees soooooo uncomfortable because they kept making a huge deal about how we came back. I was even asked “why” I came back. Um, Einstein… I didn’t exactly “choose” to. But how do you say that? Seriously, my heart went out to the Chrissies, and I wished that there were 100 Rushees that wanted to be in the chapter. But it just wasn’t the place for me.

Tootie- Yea! I was so excited to be going back to Tootie, and today did not disappoint! Like Daisy Duke, I had been singing their danged songs in my head since yesterday. Therefore I had to be veeerrrry careful not to move my lips while they were singing, as that might just freak them out! I don’t remember much about the party… I just remember my lip hurting from biting it so much during their intro and exit songs!

Mallory- This was another house I was pleased to be returning to. I really was impressed with the Mallories because I found them to be a very classy group of women. (side note… everyone with a very Southern, unique, or double name was a member of Mallory… ) They, too, had a cute skit this day, and I really liked the actives that I was paired with. Today one of them mentioned their philanthropy, which is something that I had been involved with, so that is what we mostly talked about.

Carol Seaver- my last house of the day, and all day the rushees had been talking about the skit at the Carol Seaver house, so I was very intrigued to finally go see it. They did a Late Night with David Letterman skit, and it was spot-on, including the set. Now, context… this is the early 90s… Letterman is still on NBC after Johnny Carson, and top-10 lists were still a somewhat fresh and novel idea. The concept of the skit was that Letterman was interviewing one of the Founders of Carol Seaver… only they portrayed her disco-era style (complete with polyester suit in the chapter’s colors, big sunglasses, feather boa and outrageous wig). The active playing the founder was clearly very, very funny, and they portrayed the founder this way too. At one point she did the Top Ten reasons to be a Carol Seaver. There was even a part where she danced Elaine Benes style, only this was years before the Elaine dance came into fruition. I can see how it could be misconstrued that this was disrespectful to Carol Seaver’s history, but I can promise you that even with the fun, the Carol Seavers were nothing but respectful with the situation. It was a very clever way to share some of their history, and a very memorable one as well.

I headed back to the dorm keenly aware that my head hurt, my cheeks hurt, and my feet hurt. I wanted nothing more than to take a long bubble bath, but like hale was I ever going to soak in one of those nasty dorm bathtubs.