View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2- Skit Day!

Day 2:
We met with our recruitment counselors and were told that we would be going back to a maximum of 9 houses. “Back in the day” we were given a number of houses that invited you back and if you had more than the amount you could go to that day, you cut them there. I was asked back to exactly 9 houses, so I made no cuts.
Norway, Spain, The Netherlands and Austria had cut me. I figured my time talking about flipping burgers is probably what got me cut from The Netherlands. I knew that Norway was going to cut me and I was sad to see Austria go, but I was DEVASTATED to not be going back to Spain! I really didn't understand and was heartbroken. While my recruitment counselor tried to make me see how lucky I was to be going back to 9 houses, I was definitely in a foul mood when the parties started.

Sweden- This was my first house of the day and I had a lot of fun watching the skit. I had no idea what skit day was going to be like, so being crammed into the dining room of the house with approximately 90 PMs and 100 actives was pretty intense. I remember I really liked their skit and again really liked the chapter, but couldn't stop being upset that I wasn't going to Spain.
Monaco- I wasn’t as in love with this house today as I had been the first day. Although some of may have been that my roommate was starting to get on my nerves (I actually wound up moving in with another girl a few weeks later). The girl that rushed me was very sweet and seemed happy to see me again. I had a good time, but wasn’t bowled over. And, of course, I am sure I wasn't a really lovely PM with my perpetual scowl on my face about Spain.
Denmark- The girl that got me on the sidewalk made it very clear that she was VERY excited to see me back that day- which made me feel very good about myself. Their skit was super cute (and they had great snacks) and I was pretty happy there, despite my piss-poor overall attitude this morning.
Finland- I had the same girl meet me on the sidewalk as the day before, but she acted like she didn’t know me at all! Knowing how things work, I know this couldn’t have been an accident, but I was definitely a little offended that she had the exact same conversation with me today as we had had the day before. I left a little down becuase I really WANTED to like this house, but I was having the worst conversations there!
After these four, we had a lunch break. All of the girls were talking about the houses they went back to. I was so upset to hear girls talking about the great time they had at Spain. I’m sure it was exhaustion, home sickness and general over-dramatic behavior, but I started to cry and went and found my sister-in-law (even though she really wasn't supposed to talk to me about things like this). I asked her how it could be that I was cut from HER chapter. She said she wasn’t sure and that it wasn’t a reflection on who I was at all. I told her I wanted to drop out of recruitment because if I couldn’t be in Spain I didn’t want to be in any sorority. She was wonderful and told me to just be myself that any chapter would be lucky to have me and that her chapter had made a big mistake in not choosing me as a member. She also asked me to not drop out of recruitment and that if I got a bid from a sorority I didn’t want to be in, I could refuse the bid, but that I really should stay in recruitment. She told me that all of the houses were great and that I should give them all a chance before deciding not to go greek. it was a great talk, but I was still heartbroken as I headed to my next chapter.
England- I walked in here with a bad attitude. I am pretty sure I told the girl something like “I got cut from my brother’s girlfriend’s house and I am really upset about it”. She then told me “listen, recruitment is absolutely crazy. People get cut from houses they shouldn’t and girls wind up getting bids to houses that other girls would have been better fits for. Just watch our skit and try and enjoy yourself and we can talk more after the skit.” I watched the skit (which was pretty terrible, to be honest) but I did smile and laugh. I talked more with my girl afterwards about how I was feeling. She told me that she understood my feelings but that she was really glad I was there and that she wanted me to give all of the chapters, especially theirs, a closer look now that Spain wasn’t an option. I left feeling very comforted and with a new lease on recruitment.
Italy- with my new attitude I walked in to my next house and I loved their skit! They also did a mini-house tour and seeing those rooms made me imagine myself living there. I was rushed in a group with some other PMs, but I had a great time. I definitely wanted to go back. My attitude had drastically changed and I was ready to find my new home, and thought this might be it!
France- the awkward girl from middle school rushed me again. She talked more about her ex-boyfriend (who I was friends with) than her sorority. She also made it sound like her sorority was just something she did for fun- not that it meant a lot to her (she actually wound up dropping that year). Overall, I left with luke warm feelings.
Belgium- These girls really put on a good show and talked a lot about sisterhood and the relationship they found with each other. It was a really good day and I was very impressed with the girl I talked to (she was the president). I left liking the chapter, but not feeling like it was the right fit for me.
Portugal- My last house of the day and I was exhausted, but I had a great time at this house. The skit was hilarious and the girls were really sweet. Any intimidation from the day before was gone and I was really happy to be there- and really hoping to get to go back the next day!

We could go back to five houses the next day. I was really hoping to be invited to:
Sweden
England
Italy
Portugal
Denmark