View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 1- Open House Day

Day 1:
On this day we visited every chapter, including Phi Mu’s colony presentation. For the record, Phi Mu has now been at Mizzou for over ten years, has a beautiful house, wonderful sisters and is doing great!

It was a VERY long and hot day in Missouri in August
Austria- This was the first house I went to! When the horn sounded and they all marched out of their house, I am pretty sure my jaw hit the ground. Also, it doesn’t hurt that this ia one of the most BEAUTIFUL houses at Mizzou (in my opinion). It was honestly a blur, but I knew that I liked it- a lot.
France- There was a girl I knew from junior high who was in the chapter. She rushed me- HARD! It came off as a little desperate and I wasn’t sure what to make of it. At this point, I was still a little overwhelmed with the whole process and was trying to digest it all.
Sweden- The girls were very nice, very pretty and very laid back. I enjoyed my time here, but nothing made it stand out to me. I did note, however, that all of the girls I got bumped to said exactly the same thing. They seemed pretty rehearsed, but very sweet.
Italy- this was the house my great aunt was in. Even though I didn’t have a rec from her (and honestly saw her about once every four years), the idea of being in the same house as the ONLY other greek person in my entire family was comforting. The house was beautiful and I had good conversations with the girls- they seemed very similar to me in personality.
Denmark- These girls were nice and sweet, but my first impression of them was that they were sort of “so-so”. So-so in grades, looks, involvement. The girls were very nice, and I wouldn’t mind going back, but they weren’t exactly exciting me. (this was my first impression and is not, in fact, true about this house AT ALL)
England- The house was gorgeous and the girls were very easy to talk to. But, other than that, I honestly didn’t have much of an impression of this chapter, but I did enjoy that I only talked with one girl the entire time.
Monaco- My roommate's sister was an active in the house, so I definitely wanted to like them going in. The girls I talked to were very nice and I had a great time there- I felt very comfortable. It was definitely a house I wanted to go back to.
Norway- These girls came off very polished, but a little stuffy. I was sitting on a couch with two other PMs with two or three actives kneeling talking to us, and I was definitely the one on the couch they were the LEAST interested in. I almost left with my feelings hurt because it was so obvious that they weren’t interested in me. But, I am sure that was just my own insecurities clouding my judgment.
Portugal- A friend from high school’s girlfriend was in the house. She came over to talk to me. I felt comfortable there, but all of the girls were VERY pretty and very typically “sorority”. Even though I wasn’t exactly a cave troll, I was very intimidated. But, all of the girls were very nice.
Belgium- The sidewalk talk about this house was horrible! The girls were so rude about this chapter that I was determined to like them going in. The girl I talked to was very sweet, but didn’t come off as confident. It was almost as if I was intimidating her. I didn’t have a bad feeling about the house, but I wasn’t in love or anything.
Spain- My future sister-in-laws sorority!!! I was in LOVE with the girls I talked to and knew that I wanted to be in that house. I was very comfortable and actually had a good time. It didn’t feel forced or rushed or awkward at all. I didn’t know the girl I talked to, but we had a great conversation.
The Netherlands- I stood in the foyer of this house with a bunch of other PMs and their actives. It was very loud and I talked about my summer job (working at a fast food place). Looking back, this was probably NOT a topic of conversation that made me seem very desirable. I also remember that this was one of the only houses I had to stand at.
Finland- Gorgeous house and I liked the girl. I knew that I had a rec to this chapter from a woman in my church, so I remember thinking highly of them.
Basically, my ranking on this was something like :
1. Spain
2. Everyone else