View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Winterbloom
I'm currently working on my thesis about ghosts/ghost stories for my "Issues at the End of Life" class. In a few days, I'll be heading down to Gettysburg, PA to do some ghost hunting and test my thesis. It's a good time, overall. I have some stories that'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand straight up.

My father's family is Portuguese, very supersticious, and we believe that the ability to see spirits travels down to every female in the family. I've seen some weird shit in my lifetime, I'll tell you. And there are some things in the world we simply cannot explain. As Shakespeare said, "There are more things in Heaven and on Earth then are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio."

The best ghost story I have on campus would have to be of our children. The dorm my boyfriend and most of my buddies live in was originally the pastor's house for the small Lutheran college. The family was striken with Scarlet Fever, and the children and the wife never recovered. The pastor left soon after, and the building became a dormitory. The children, however, didn't quite leave. They've been sighted time and time again--a boy and a girl, no older than 8--running around, giggling in corridors, turning on faucets in empty bathrooms. My friend Amy was working in the empty computer lab in the basement of the building, as it also houses the math and comp sci departments. All the computers were on screen saver save for hers, and she had her back to the room. She heard keys clattering, and looked into the lab across the hall. It was empty. When she turned to look at the rest of her lab, two computers were on the Windows lock screen that had been on screen saver before. She left soon after, too freaked out to work anymore. We've been able to take pictures of our ghosts--lots of orbs, considered to be the best evidence of paranormal activity by investigators, and a few bits of ectoplasm and one extra. An extra is when a face or limb appears in a photo without having been there initially and cannot be explained away by a trick of the light, faulty film or developmental issues with the picture. Very fun stuff.

I'll keep you guys posted on the Gettysburg ghosts, if you want.