View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I pretty much went through almost the same sort of situation, so am offering my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSUGURL View Post
It's old, but I'm replying anyway - with my own experience as well as a bit of advice.

I went through recruitment as an upperclassmen, as a transfer and as a nontradional student.

Bottom line: I was not who they were looking for, but I was encouraged to try.

I was completely released after second round, and yes, I was disappointed. To say the least.

Be realistic. Know yourself and whether or not you can handle being rejected, but also if you go through recruitment and you are rejected, make an effort to nurture the friendships with girls that you feel you truly "clicked" with. You may have some wistfulness over this particular area in your life, and that's ok, but don't focus on it to the point that you miss some truly great experiences because they didn't come with Greek letters.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I would NOT have become a member of an organization that offered many of the same experiences that I hoped to experience as a member of a NPC/MCG sorority if it wasn't for me going through recruitment. I daresay that I'd probably have had one friend for a short time, but I would NOT have made the lasting and heartfelt friendships that I've made during the past year since going through recruitment.

And PLEASE, PLEASE, if you join a service GLO, a local GLO, or another organization, go into it with a clean slate. They are different organizations with different purposes and structures. Love them for what they are and don't try to fit them into the mold of an NPC sorority.

I don't completely agree with this. If you want to be involved in an organization of a certain type, and those doors are closed for you....I daresay, get involved in activities that offer similar benefits. I did that (and Beta Sigma Phi isn't what I'm referring to) and it's proved to be the best decision that I could have ever made.

I will say, the Beta Sigma Phi chapter that I helped to found WAS started in an NPC mold. That was what we wanted and that was how we operated during the first few months of our existence. When we found that such a modus operandi was NOT what would allow us to thrive as a Beta Sigma Phi chapter and some disasters along the way, through pledge training and learning more about the organization that we are a part of......we began to modify how we operated. We still are proud of the traditions that we created as a chapter when we were founded.....but we have become much more...Beta-like in how we operate and what we do together as a chapter.

So, while I wouldn't recommend Beta Sigma Phi to all non-traditional students who are upperclasswomen who still feel the pull to become part of a sorority after being released from NPC Recruitment....it certainly was the right choice for me. I will admit that I struggled with my feelings of not belonging in the way in which I thought that I should have belonged for MONTHS after recruitment. To the point where I needed to seek therapy. Which I got and which did help.

Yet, I did find the right organizations to belong to. And I believe that is really, at the heart of it all, what women who are released from recruitment really want. Time does take care of the rest.