View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

the programs i am implimenting are going to be optional. i am just a grad student and have no control over any GLO's. i am also no part of the school or the administration moreso than a student leader and student affairs employee ( I do website design). With other offices, I am just going to try to have speakers so the topic is out there. Noone has to attend; they will not be forced. And the Greek Safe Zone project is like many schools' ALLY programs that are again optional and anyone who is interested is invited to come and be involved in the workshop and at the end, students would become certified members of the greek safe zone, who's objective is to keep the greek community safe for the GLBT community and to open dialogue on the topic within the greek community. There are there to be aware of any violence or extreme discrimination of GLBT greeks.

Also, why would you assume fraternities would be hostile about opeing the topic? I have talked to many fraternity men who think it is a great idea and have no problem talking about it, even as far as voicing concerns about gays in their fraternity. I think to say something like that, that fraternities will be hostile about discussing GLBT issues, is like saying all fraternity men are meat-head homophobics, when in many cases fraternity men are very open, especially when they have pledged their love and support to their brothers, who in actuality might be gay. In fact 1 in 10 men in this country is gay, so chances are each fraternity has at least one gay member whether he is out or not and by talking about the subject in a greek perspective, these members might feel more comfortable sharing themseleves with their brothers and the brothers can have some background in order to know how to react and feel open to ask questions.

I don't see this as a bad thing for fraternities at all. With so many stereotypes of greeks out there, elimintaing the homophobic label would be one less.