View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynn View Post
Forever, I think your point is valid, and there are definitely women out there who think that way, but as an IU parent of a member of an lower tiered chapter, I think some of the blame needs to go to the Greek Life community. My daughter has made some really good friends in her sorority - her 3 besties especially, and her sorority has some really socially active, smart, creative, beautiful girls, but the Greek community does promote the idea that they are one of the "red headed step children" of the system. I hope women stick with it and join wherever they end up, because there are many good experiences to be had, but I do get why they drop. Some PNMs are able to ignore this and not let it bother them, but others maybe are not so confident and for a multitude of reasons they can't handle the disrespect or aren't prepared to be the target of it. We have to remember that we are adults with years of experience and they are 18 year olds trying to figure out who they are. And IU doesn't help themselves by still setting an artificial quota of 55 (better than when my daughter went through and some chapters took <40 but I wish they'd use RFM throughout and set a true quota, which would probably be 70-80) As an greek alum of a different university who has helped with many recruitments over the years and with a greek daughter at a different large university, I can say I have major reservations about IU's Greek Life. Still lots of good things, but much more based on social tiers and status than most universities I have worked with and that disappoints me. I encourage SL&L/Panhel/IFC to continue to work on creating a more cooperative, supportive community.
I was having this discussion with a few of my actives last night. And MY personal biggest issue with the IU sorority system is the fact that fraternities are the ones that seem to determine the "tiers". Certain fraternities will refuse to "pair" with some of the sororities. And if the sorority ticks off the fraternity in some way, they will threaten to stop "pairing" with them. It is ridiculous.
The women were shocked when I told them how at my school, greek week pairs were a random draw- so you had to pair with whomever you were assigned or you didn't participate. I believe that is how my alma mater does homecoming pairs now as well.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God