View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
At the biggest Greek schools near me, the tiers are not based entirely on looks. There are a few middle-tier groups that are considered the "hot" chapters, and they are sort of looked down on (especially by the top tier) because they don't consider social status, "old money," grades, etc. I'm not saying the "top" groups are a bunch of old bags, but a lot of them are not the cutest, just the most impressive.
At my university, "tiers" definitely considered attractiveness, but a chapter needed to be well-rounded and couldn't rely on beauty for superiority. Chapters that had a reputation for "only" being hot and liking to party and had the lowest GPAs to support the stereotype were frequently criticized for not being more involved on campus, not being more academically focused, etc. Of course, plenty of members of those chapters were in honors societies and made the Dean's list, because stereotypes are just that.

I'll also add that schools like UMich aren't accepting unintelligent students. All the incoming students were involved in extracurriculars and are stellar applicants with an average GPA above 3.8. I doubt even the girls in the "hot" house are somehow significantly less intelligent than the girls in the "smart" house, but someone has to have the lowest GPA - which, to be fair, I don't know the GPAs of the UMich chapters so maybe this chapter also has the highest GPA!