View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
When you opt for a destination event (particularly one that involves international travel), you have to:

1. Know your family and friend base. Some people's family and friends can drop $$$$ on tickets and stuff. Some can't. Not everyone's family and friends can swing it.

2. Decide if you're okay with the fact that not everyone can swing it. Ex: If like, half your friends are 23 and under and still in school, you can't have a destination event then simultaneously complain about people RSVPing no. Yes, discussing hypothetical destination events and actually having them are different. It's one thing for Suzy to be like "Oh I'll totally come to your not real Tulum event!!!" It's another for her to get a passport, ticket, etc.

3. Know that if people can't swing it, they're probably going to talk trash or guilt you. Again, you need to be okay with it. Example: You can't plan a Parisian destination event if your guest list is all college students or people working two jobs to pay bills, then be Pouty McPouterson because people are complaining/can't come/calling you selfish, etc. It's just the nature of the beast.

4. Understand that some people CAN come but don't want to.

If you're un-okay with any of the above things, you probably should have stayed stateside.

Do 23 year olds even have destination weddings? I feel like everyone I know who got married under 30 got married fairly close to where they grew up (it makes sense since most people that young either met in college or high school and their parents are paying for it).

After 30, it doesn't seem like anyone has a wedding in their hometown unless they still live there.