View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl2008 View Post
i agree with drphil. drill sargeants and football coaches are only treated differently b/c that is how you look at and respect them right? and if you don't do what they say they can kick you off the team or military. yes they are older but does age really make you that much wiser? if this is the case then why would you ever listen to your boss at work who is younger than you? why would you ever be someone's coffee runner at work unless you wanted to move up the ranks?
Your theory is flawed. You listen to your boss because s/he has been given explicit power by the organization. Listening to a mentor would have made for a better argument.

Quote:
i think when it comes down to it, it's all about what the individual is willing to do and we should hold that individual responsible. we are talking about 18+ year olds who are technically adults right? if they want to join an organization no matter what kind it is, they have to accomplish whatever the tasks are that they're assigned. if they don't want to, find another organization to join simple as that. what i don't understand is why the us govt has to hold people's hands all the time and intervene for things that people should have the right to do and not do themselves. this is not like someone is forcing you to do something. you can always walk away if you want.
When the government didn't "hold our hands" people got out of control. Again, if college students were more careful and didn't let things go to far, there would be no need for the laws.