View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
And going back to the retention issue, I suppose more emphasis should be on that rather than recruitment itself and I've been thinking about this entirely the wrong way around.

Afterall a chapter's strength/future is arguably more dependent on retention rather than giant new member classes
The girls that have left my daughter's sorority's chapter the past couple of years have been mainly for financial or transfer reasons. Dropping due to unhappiness really isn't an issue, at least there (a large midwestern school).

"- True that, but with the analysis of the bid lists from Bama and Auburn last fall, if anything there were more PNMs from out-of-state than ever before? Confusing. Or is it that PNM from out-of-state may perhaps have more disposable income, or the benefits of finding a community to thrive in a new place is worth it? This is exactly it. They're paying the triple OOS tuition, so they've already got money. They're coming from OOS and don't know many people, so it's a way to connect. And they've got the money to do it."

Ehh, it isn't all about the money.

A ton of kids from my neck of the woods (Northern Virginia) go to SEC/southern ACC schools. Most of the kids from our high school end up in the Greek system. They go because:

1) Many parents are from the South and are SEC/ACC alums and came to DC for work related reasons.

2) They can't get into the top 3 highly competitive VA state universities as every state school in VA could fill every freshman seat with kids from NoVA and still need more seats, and they do try for geographic/socioeconomic/race diversity. (I believe kids from the Chicago suburbs have the same problem getting into Illinois, so they end up at other large midwestern schools).

3) They want the big school experience.

4) SEC/ACC public schools are still more affordable than many private schools even with aid/grants. Quite a few kids that I know also got some merit scholarship money, so that helps also.

Last edited by southbymidwest; 05-15-2012 at 01:56 AM.