View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom, there are many resources available for assistance for people in your circumstances. Frankly I'm surprised the hospital didn't send a social worker in to meet with you prior to discharge. Do you have a local "aging agency" where you are? You should have one. I know you are in Kansas City but is it MO or KS? ETA DUH! You're in Kansas. SORRY my bad. I did a quick search and got several hits for that geographical area. If you need me to do more searching and post links, let me know.

Here in AZ there are "area councils on aging" that provide incredible, comprehensive services to seniors (meal assistance, rides to doctors, help with household needs, help with shopping, etc). And yes, Medicare is also a good source of support because it hasn't been decimated - yet. It's not an entitlement! You paid into it while employed, so take advantage of services.

Check MealsOnWheelsAmerica.org (didn't post a hyperlink, you have to type it into your browser bar. The service is still operating although it's taken a hit under the current regime. Do you have a connection with a church? That's another place for help.

Someone from Medicare/your health insurance plan can come in and do a risk assessment of your home. You also would benefit from having visits to be sure you're getting adequate nutrition, medication, etc.

As a person who insists on aging in place both for myself and for others, I've learned to be proactive and take advantage of resources as well as reach out for help. It sure beats the alternative.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 03-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.